Everywhere around us we find negativity. The television pours into our living room news of wars, strikes, calamities and natural disasters ravaging humanity. Seeing all this and maintaining a normal positive attitude is certainly difficult.
It is the dream of every loving parent that their child should shine in life in whatever field they choose to pursue. They can be taught to be smart by good quality education. But, good education and smartness will not always ensure success. Success belongs to those who have a healthy positive attitude towards life. But with so much destruction and violence in everything around us a positive attitude becomes a distant goal. So, it is easier to make your child the smartest kid in the neighbourhood, but, you will have to extra careful to instil in him/her a positive attitude to really make them achieve all they wish to in life. Below are few factors that could hinder your child from developing a positive attitude. Watch out for them:
• Destructive Thinking. Children today can know all that is happening throughout the world by means of the television and internet which brings to them live reports of news of the happenings which are most often bad and violent than good. Video games also encourage shooting and killing in their games. All this exposure is not constructive and can develop children with a destructive attitude in them.
• Atmosphere at Home. Parents with a negative outlook on life will go on to raise children with the same negative outlook on life. The child learns from what he sees around him. The home is the birthplace of learning and getting exposed to negative attitudes at home will give rise to a strong negative thinker.
A parent who showers criticism instead of praise for every action of his child pave way for the child to believe that he is a complete failure in whatever he does. The inferiority complex grows with the child and the adult depicts an outward expression of low self-esteem in everything he does and says.
Parents who are also too protective and over limits the freedom given to their children may develop children who will become resentful and rebellious. Giving guided freedom to children will make them feel that they are trusted with enough responsibilities.
• Psychological Disorders. In rare cases, a psychological developmental problem could also be the reason for preventing children from developing a positive approach towards life. Complications during the mother’s pregnancy and childbirth could be one main causative feature. These should be well investigated and diagnosed as early as possible to prevent future deterioration of mental development.
In order to develop positive attitude in children, these things should be done:
• Develop a Healthy Home Atmosphere. A happy home will go a long way in developing children with strong positive attitude in life. Parents play the vital role in this and should have a positive attitude always in their every dealing. Past experiences that had prompted negative feelings in them should be put behind. They should try to encourage and give constructive comments to their children in the day to day activities. Love towards each other should be shown openly so that the children can learn that it is normal and healthy. The children will feel loved and cared for. Belonging to a happy and loving family will automatically gift the children a positive attitude.
• Encourage not Criticize. As children grow up, different challenges present themselves in front of them. Offer your support and give a constructive positive review on each of the challenge they are facing. Congratulate their successes and be proud of their sincere efforts even if they fail to achieve some of them. Encourage them to keep trying and learn from their mistakes. This would build in them a confident positive spirit.
Develope the habit of showering a word of praise when your child attempts something new and support him in every new endeavour whether it is a immediate success or a failure. This will build in him/ her confidence to face new challenges.
One important thing is to allow your child have guided freedom to do her activities by herself along with your assistance when required. Permit them to shoulder little responsibilities that will give them a sense of accomplishment. By knowing you trust them, they grow the quality of positive attitude in them.
• Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Psychological Disorders. Parents should be observant enough to notice if their children have psychological disorders. If a parent notices something unusual about the mental development of their child, then it is best to have the child diagnosed and treated as early as possible.
In case of any mental and emotional developmental challenges do not hesitate to seek counselling from a certified psychiatrist which is the right direction you should choose as your remedy.
Children will develop positive attitude when they know that they are loved at home and are trusted enough to be given their freedom to do certain things that are appropriate to their age. Encouraging children to tackle different challenges and making sure that parents are proud of him/her even if he/she fails helps the children develop self-confidence and positive attitude.
Article by Craig Desmier of OutdoorSofa.com, a website
with the largest selections of patio
Filed under: Parenting
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!