Article by jimhay
Baby Sign Language using American Sign Language (ASL)! You’ve heard people talking about it, but is it right for your baby and those who love her? As you’re making your decision, consider just a few of the many benefits that ASL Baby Sign Language offers. The process is remarkable easy to learn and is amazing for virtually ALL babies… NOT just for deaf babies. Remember that you don’t need to learn full ASL but only some ASL signs for both you and your baby to reap astounding rewards! Consider these benefits:
* Signing babies spend much less time crying, screaming and throwing tantrums when instead, they can easily “tell” you what they’re thinking. Their ability to communicate without tears greatly reduces stress, allows more time for positive interaction, and cements bonds between a baby and others in their world.
* ASL Baby Sign Language empowers all children by enabling them to communicate successfully both inbound and outbound. This empowerment contributes to happiness and strengthens self-esteem.
* ASL Signing enhances early language skills and supports early education. Signing babies engage in meaningful two-way “conversations” with their “teachers” and peers at a much earlier age.
* Signing can be a language bridge between a child and others who speak a different language. The ASL sign is the same for “EAT” (English) as it is for “COMER” (Spanish) and ties the two languages together.
* Pre-verbal children use ASL signs to help solve problems. “STOP” and “SHARE” are commonly-used signs that help resolve conflicts and support cooperation.
* With ASL Baby Sign Language used in pre-verbal classrooms, teachers report fewer instances of biting, hitting, screaming, and noise as children are much less frustrated.
* Through Baby Sign Language, babies can control the topic of conversation and express their unique thoughts at a much younger age (as much as a year or more before they can speak!). This allows teachers to design learning activities to enhance a child’s specific interest. Signing is appropriate for all preschool age groups (Infants, Toddlers, Preschool, and Pre-K.)
* ASL signing in childcare settings allows caregivers to model effective communication, encourage conflict resolution, and help children express themselves. Signing teachers spend more time interacting with and nurturing children and less time managing the myriad of challenges associated with early childhood education and early learning.
* Most importantly, ASL Baby Sign Language will defiantly not delay the onset of verbal speech! To the contrary, signing babies typically speak at an earlier age and are much more verbose!
So what are you waiting for? Don’t miss another day of these powerful benefits with your baby! Start right now!
About the Author
Author has written many articles on sign language for babies. Now your childcare center has the opportunity to enhance revenues and strengthen its competitive position by developing your reputation as an ASL-based (American Sign Language)
Related Sign Language Babies Articles
Filed under: Teach Baby Sign
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!